Sunday, March 3, 2013

Weekly Menu: Week 1

I am a typical teacher.  I like to share information, and I like to avoid re-inventing the wheel.  If I see another teacher's lesson and it looks great, I steal it.  (We all do this.  Sometimes we even pay for them, like on Teachers Pay Teachers.) 

So when I see a great weekly menu plan, I have no shame.  I'll use it.  I'll even change it up to suit my own purposes.  But I'm not a jerk, so I'll give credit where credit is due.

A quick google search turned me to this. The thrust of this blog is vegan, gluten-free menus that feature local ingredients from a CSA.  My family does not subscribe to a year-round CSA, but we do enjoy a CSA subscription in the summer from Whitton Farms

I adapted the above menu plan to my own purposes and my family's schedule and routines.  Here's what I got.

Sunday:  Breakfast for dinner is our tradition.  I'm not ready to jump on the GF Bisquik bandwagon (seems like too many ingredients on the label for this food snob), so I looked for some other options to replace homemade biscuits, pancakes, or waffles.  This week, we'll have:
Brazilian Cheesy Bread
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Hash
Omelets or Poached Eggs (I'll share the omelet technique in another post)
Fresh fruit

Monday:
Using "In My Box" Monday menu

Tuesday:
Using "In My Box" Tuesday menu (adding slow-cooker pork tenderloin for the meat-eaters...no recipe yet)

Wednesday: 
Using "In My Box" Friday menu

Thursday:
Using "In My Box" Thursday menu

Friday/Saturday:
I never plan Fridays and Saturdays.  Sometimes I bring home fast food.  Sometimes we go out.  This week, Friday is the beginning of Spring Break, so we may do something fun.  Or not. 

My grocery list looks very healthy, with more than half of it coming from the produce aisle.  The only new ingredients I need to buy to stay gluten-free are tapioca flour and tamari (wheat-free soy sauce).  I've bought tamari in the past, so I don't even know if I count that as a "new" ingredient. 



Everyone except me eats cereal for breakfast (I don't eat breakfast), and the kids pack sandwiches and fruit for lunch.  I usually take leftovers, and Rich eats leftovers at home for lunch. 

(We also make food for the dogs - a whole different blog could be written about this - so I buy meat for that, and they get leftover vegetables.) 






No comments:

Post a Comment