Sunday, March 3, 2013

Anyone out there?

I'm starting this blog because my family loves to cook and eat.  Each of us had different dietary needs and preferences, so meal planning and preparation is sometimes an adventure.  I realized that this was a great opportunity to combine my love of writing and love of food and love of photography, my family's love of eating and sharing their opinions, and the internet.  Hence, the birth of this blog today. 

The characters?
Kaleigh (me).  I'm  a forty-something mom, wife, pet-tender, special education teacher, and enthusiastic, if hurried, home cook. I've lived with an autoimmune disorder (Graves Disease, which is an autoimmune thyroid disorder) since I was 17.  While I'm fortunate to enjoy mostly good health, and to eat a mostly good diet, I've decided this year to make some dietary changes in order to enjoy better health.  Last summer, when I realized that my daily stomach pain arrived about an hour after I finished my homemade 24-ounce iced latte, I mostly quit dairy, and I felt a lot better.  Last week, after reading yet another compelling article about the thyroid-gluten link, I committed to eliminate gluten from my diet.

Rich (my husband).  He's a forty-something dad, husband, college instructor, and willing, precise home cook.  Unlike me, he is a religious recipe-follower.  He's also been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for nearly 20 years.  He prefers to avoid pasta and cheese, so my dietary issues are mostly not an issue for him.  He's lost a lot of weight over the past decade and is still trying to lose more, and he's a religious exerciser.  While he has no real reason to go gluten-free, he's willing.

E (my daughter).  Teenager. Vegetarian since birth. Loves bread, pasta, cheese, and milk.  Also loves soups, rice, vegetables, and fruit. Pretty adventurous eater with a mature palate. 

R (my son). Teenager.  Omnivore since age 3.  Loves to eat, and very adventurous.  He's been a foodie since before we had that word.  When he was little, he wanted to be a chef.  He'll eat just about anything.

The reality?  My family generally eats a vegetarian diet at home, because my husband and daughter are both lacto-ovo vegetarians and two working parents and two busy teenagers don't have time to cook two dinners every night.

The goal?  Healthy, tasty meals for my family that are relatively quick to prepare, and that everyone in the house, regardless of dietary needs or preferences, will eat.

So, here's what I propose.

I'll cook stuff (or Rich will), and take pictures.  I'll share recipes and let you know the most important information.  Did we like it?

Join us!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment